[vorbis] build problems with classic Mac

Jarrell Irvin jarrell at rahul.net
Wed Mar 27 01:22:36 PST 2002

Hi,

I am trying to build libogg and libvorbis for classic Mac, in my case
MacOS 9.1, and having a few problems.

First I downloaded from the download page ( /ogg/vorbis/download) the zip
files for r1.0rc3:

libogg-1.0rc3.zip
  and
libvorbis-1.0rc3.zip

However, there were no Mac CW project files, and I knew they existed as
one of the doc files (README??) mentioned them.

So, I then used cvs to download the latest source, which did include the
Mac CW project files.  However, I couldn't build libogg as it had
unresolved link errors - oggpack_look_huff and oggpack_adv_huff were
referenced by the .exp file (libogg.mpc.exp), but not defined anywhere.
I figured that was possible, as this was the latest source, was being
developed most likely on another platform, etc.  So, I decided to copy
the Mac project files (actually the directories entitled "Mac") into the
r1.0rc3 source tree I had (I would prefer to build a release candidate
version anyway, to provide some sense of stability to my development
exploration efforts).

However, while building liboggr1.0rc3 worked, building libvorbisr1.0rc3
failed, as one of the project files "bitbuffer.c" was missing - it didn't
appear in either the 1.0rc3 source or the latest cvs source.  So, I
removed it from the project, and then the project built, but failed to
link, because now the .exp file (libvorbis.mcp.exp) was referencing a
routine _vp_apply_floor that supposedly was in psy.h (according to a
comment in libvorbis.mcp.exp), but wasn't.  Seeing that another routine
_vi_psy_dup was commented out in libvorbis.mcp.exp, I took the liberty of
just commenting out _vp_apply_floor in libvorbis.mcp.exp, and then I
found another 14 link errors (multiply defined as well as undefined ones).

So my questions are, why are there so many build problems with a release
candidate?  Is there a r1.0rc3 for classic Mac that builds without me
having to edit both project and source files?  Is this what other Mac
developers have had to do?  If the relase candidate was new it would make
more sense, but hasn't this release candidate been around for 3 months?
Or am I just missing something obvious here...

- jarrell