[vorbis] 22050 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Mar 20 16:13:41 PST 2002

> I do understand that you say that VBR is much better, and that vorbis is
> VBR inside. I hope you do understand my concerns as well, in particilar
> the need to be able to produce low bitrate output.

It can produce low bitrate output.  If you use managed bitrates (-b to
oggenc) it will produced managed bitrate files but will only work for
44.1kHz input.

-q modes will work with any input and produce vbr files, basicallythe
same as any previous release of vorbis.  11.25kHz input to RC3 with -q0
is probably what you want to get to the lower bitrates with the vbr
modes.

Low bitrate tuning (so that those low bitrate will sound as excellently
tuned as the higher ones) and low-btirate and other samplerate audio
will be supported by the management engine.

lower sample rates + vbr in rc3 is good enough for modems, as Oddsock,
the BBC, and others have already shown with their own modem streams.

Note that the API for encoding _did_ change in rc3 slightly, and you
should refer to encode_example.c for the details or look at the diffs in
ices, etc.  Perhaps that's the point of confusion here.

jack.