[vorbis] OGG question:

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Mon Mar 18 06:40:47 PST 2002

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Troy Telford wrote:

> My question is this:  Is it feasable (and, considering licencing,
> leagal) to create an .ogg file that contains, say Indeo or Cinepak
> video?  (In other words, use the ogg bitstream to store the data rather
> than .avi).  Personally, I think this might be a fairly interesting way

Yes, it is feasible since Ogg was designed with this sort of thing in
mind.  The legality is entirely determined the format you choose to embed in
Ogg.  That is to say, there are no licensing issues with Ogg (since it is
BSD licensed), so the legal issues are going to come from the other
format/codec.

An example of a mixed format Ogg is the code which Jack wrote and placed in
the ogg-tools module to produce Ogg Vorbis+MIDI files.  There is an oggmerge
program which puts the parts together and an omplay program which will play
them if you are using very recent ALSA drivers.  In that same module, you will
find some of the code (I don't think it works) to do Ogg Vorbis+MNG.

---
Stan Seibert