[vorbis] Encoding question

Alan MacDonald newslists at warpzillion.com
Tue Mar 12 15:53:21 PST 2002

> So I'm
> assuming that because of that, the smallest  a file can ever be is always
> 4kb.
That's about right.  Every time a vorbis file is encoded the necessary
codebooks and info. for decoding the file are packed into the first few ogg
pages.  They usually run somewhere between 3-6k if I remember correctly.  If
you are encoding at the same quality setting for all the files, you only
need to read the codebooks and settings once, I believe.  So you could
change the decoder to get the first few ogg pages from one file, and then
once its primed just run the decode loop on the rest.  You'd have to go in
and take out the first few ogg pages of each of the encode files also.
Requires a some work.  Another option would be to encode them all as one
file and then use offsets.

Later,
Alan