[vorbis] 48000 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Ben Pearre bwpearre at mit.edu
Mon Mar 25 12:13:55 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:30:30PM +0100, Moritz Grimm wrote:
[munch]
> Apart from that, there are still many people who can't playback music
> with sample rates higher than 44.1kHz. You'll propably get the best out
> of resampling to 44.1kHz, in both quality and size - just use a good
> piece of software to do the resampling with antialiasing filter. Those
> additional frequencies are pretty much inaudible and matter only in
> postproduction. [munch]

Not entirely true.  It's well-known that we can't consciously hear
sustained sine waves above 18KHz or so, but it's now thought that
there are other situations in which much higher frequencies make a big
difference.  Transients?  The fact that most playback equipment tries
to be flat only up to 20KHz doesn't help, but usually it won't get to
-3db for a while above that...

The DVD-Audio-type standards sample much higher (96KHz? 192?) just to
fix this kind of problem.  I haven't heard demos, but people I trust
fairly well have told me that there's a huge difference, even on
otherwise normal (admittedly nice) stereos.

Cheers!
-Ben

--
bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu                http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben