[vorbis] 22050 Hz in vorbis rc3?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Mar 20 12:30:30 PST 2002

Ben Pearre wrote:
> > It works, but only with VBR (-q switch), and not managed bitrates (-b,
> > -m and -M switches). Note that Ogg is not yet tuned for sample rates
> > other than 44.1kHz, so don't expect "perfect" quality yet. This will be
> > addressed in the RC4 release.
> Including 48kHz?  I have some DATs of performances that I want to put
> online.  Will rc4 eat them?

Since 48kHz is pretty near to 44.1kHz, there aren't the significant
quality reductions. I suppose it could be a bit better, but it's pretty
good already. Today, Vorbis "eats" every sample rate as long as no
managed bitrates are being used.

Apart from that, there are still many people who can't playback music
with sample rates higher than 44.1kHz. You'll propably get the best out
of resampling to 44.1kHz, in both quality and size - just use a good
piece of software to do the resampling with antialiasing filter. Those
additional frequencies are pretty much inaudible and matter only in
postproduction. I recommend Sonic Foundry's Sound Forge - sox might do
it as well, but i have no experience with it.