[vorbis] Interesting file-sharing idea

Philip M. White pmwhite1104 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 21:14:41 PST 2002

This may be unrealistic and useless, but I've been thinking about an interesting file-sharing solution.

In my system, only Ogg Vorbis files may be shared, and they should all be directly ripped from a CD.  Nothing that someone would convert from MP3, etc.  While that cannot be enforceable, it should be made clear.  Also, track listings should be not filenames, but the Artist and Title of the song as read from tags.

Anyway, let's say I have ten CDs all converted to high-quality Ogg Vorbis... for example, quality level 7.  Someone on the system searches for a song that I have, and decide to download it.  Now here is the important part!: the downloader is presented with a menu of the quality that they wish to download!  For example, if they are a broadband user, they may choose to continue at quality 7, but if they are a dial-up user, they may decide speed over quality and choose quality 2.  Of course, it should not be possible to "upgrade" to anything higher than 7 if my file is encoded at level 7.

With future peeling tools, this should be trivial to accomplish, without re-encoding the file.  It's true that at first, there'd be very little to share, but if this takes off, this will be sort of a music filesharing utopia.

TO SUMMARIZE:

        - listings read from song tags, instead of using the filename
        - CD-quality songs
        - bitrate peeling put to use!  finally, lucrative for dial-up users!
        - of course, all good features of current file-sharing tools, like multi-host download ability and de-centralization

What do you think?  Even if this is the most unrealistic and useless idea that you've heard, it's interesting nevertheless.  Certainly something to wish for.

                                                        -- Philip.
     Philip M. White  <pmwhite1104 at yahoo.com>
A2F8 00C7 411C 4823 CCFB  B0B0 75EA F071 446D A9DD

"MP3 the king is a mighty warrior, but he's showing new wounds.
Ogg [Vorbis] is the successor to the throne ... In this case,
Open Source is not a compromise; Vorbis is the best out there."
-- Monty (Mr. Vorbis) on Slashdot