[vorbis] cdparanoia mailing list ?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Mar 15 12:52:16 PST 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 03:18:02PM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> I've never seen any atapi ide cdrom not work with the standard ide cdrom
> driver.

This is mostly an issue for older drives.  Any MMC compliant drives will at
least mostly work with the ATAPI driver.

Cdparanoia knows about fifty different historical/proprietary read
commands.  The kernel IDE/ATAPI interface knows one (two if you turn
on some ifdefs).

> As for configuring as scsi, you may get some kind of driver
> error checking, maybe.

Yes, bigtime.  The ATAPI interface, upon seeing any reported error will
retry forever until it gets 'a good read'.  This is a good way to
cause damagaed/defective discs or buggy drives to just randomly never
finish.

>  But you cant beat the ide cdrom driver for ide
> drives, especially with the DMA transfer patch.  Ripping with dma means
> you use about 2% to negligable cpu to read audio cds.

That patch breaks some of cdparanoia's error checking badly.
Specifically, it will make it harder for cdparanoia to detect
unreported sector boundary errors because that DMA patch is actually
splitting requests into single sector transfers and cdparanoia will
not be able to detect or prevent it.  Cdparanoia's checking algorithms
all assume >1 sector transfers.

It makes it much more likely that skipping/loss of streaming will not
be detected, especially if the drive manages to screw up boundaries
consistently, a problem in many models.

> The scsi driver
> wont do that for ide drives i dont believe.

The SCSI driver has always used DMA, even implementing memory
scatter/gather, something the IDE patches can't do (thus the single
secotr tranfers).

Monty