[vorbis] Obtaining tag-independent track uniqueness?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Wed Mar 13 04:50:49 PST 2002

Tom Wadzinski wrote:
> In the isolated case of Audiogalaxy, the downloaded files always contain
> just artist and title tags (both id3v1 and id3v2), even though your

That's not correct. I got mp3s with no tags as well as randomly (and
most of the time wrongly) tagged id3v1 and/or id3v2 tags. On the other
hand, i never got an mp3 whose filename was in another format than
<artist> - <title>.mp3

Their client seems to read the tags and internally rename the files it
shares to the artist - title.mp3-scheme. Anything else is about
imaginating how it actually works.

If you "choose exact version", you can choose from different bitrates,
song lengthes (argh), but also between two seemingly identical files.
E.g. 128kbps, 4:14mins ... one shared by 15 people, the other by only
10.