[vorbis] Encoding question

elliot_kwestel at nysunburst.com elliot_kwestel at nysunburst.com
Tue Mar 12 15:24:07 PST 2002

Hello,
     I'm working on a game and I want to encode all the sound files that I
have (probably over a 100) with Ogg Vorbis. Most of these sound files are
really small, about 3 - 6kb each.  Each sound file contains a word, i.e.
"cat", "bat".  When I encoded some of them I noticed that the ogg file is
never smaller than 4kb, even if the original wav file was less than 4kb.  I
saw in the libogg documentation that an ogg page is typically 4kb. So I'm
assuming that because of that, the smallest  a file can ever be is always
4kb.
Is there any overhead that can be removed during the encoding or is there a
setting that could get the encoding to have a smaller page size, thereby
generating a  file less than 4kb?

Thanks,
Elliot