[vorbis] Ogg too good?

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Mar 7 02:46:34 PST 2002

I have a different solution, which stands me in good stead.  For each
"CD", all the flac files go in a directory.  Then there is a "tags"
file in that directory.  Here is an example of a "tags" file:

a ALBUM="Bob Marley"
a LABEL="Sony Music Canada"
a PERFORMER="Bob Marley"
a GENRE="reggae"
t 01 TITLE="Concrete Jungle"
t 02 TITLE="Slave Driver"
t 03 TITLE="400 Years"
t 04 TITLE="Stop That Train"
t 05 TITLE="Baby We've Got A Date"
t 06 TITLE="Stir It Up"
t 07 TITLE="Kinky Reggae"
t 08 TITLE="No More Trouble"

I have already automated my ogg creation so that when I rip CD's, each
ogg track will get correctly tagged based on the contents of the
"tags" file.

I have another little shell script that will rename an ogg file based
on the content of that files tags.

The format of the file is simple:  lines that begin with 'a' are tags
that will be inserted in every track of the album.  lines that being
with 't' expect a track number to go next, and then the tag will only be
applied to that track.

You may not know it to look at it, but I designed the format of the tag
file so I could source it from a shell script, after defining "a" and
"t" as shell functions.  Yep, "tags" is a legitimate shell script :-)
Sure beat writing my own parser...

For an example of a tags file for one of my classical CD's, look below.

Of course, I make sure all my tags are standard compliant:

   http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-standard.html

Jonathan

a COMPOSER="Vivaldi, Antonio"
a CONDUCTOR="Claudio Scimone"
a ENSEMBLE="I Solisti Veneti"
a LABEL="Erato"
a DATE="April, 1971"
a LOCATION="Vaccarino, Italy"
a DISCNUMBER="1"
a SIRC="2292-45451-2"
a GENRE="classical"
a COPYRIGHT="Erato-Disques 1990"
a COMMENT="Le Quattro Stagioni - Il Cimento Dell'Armonia e Dell'Invenzione"
t 01 TITLE="Concerto in E major, La Primavera"
t 01 PART="Allegro"
t 01 OPUS="Opus 8 No 1 RV 269"
t 01 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 02 TITLE="Concerto in E major, La Primavera"
t 02 PART="Largo"
t 02 OPUS="Opus 8 No 1 RV 269"
t 02 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 03 TITLE="Concerto in E major, La Primavera"
t 03 PART="Allegro"
t 03 OPUS="Opus 8 No 1 RV 269"
t 03 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 04 TITLE="Concerto in G minor, L'Estate"
t 04 PART="Allegro non molto"
t 04 OPUS="Opus 8 No 2 RV 315"
t 04 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 05 TITLE="Concerto in G minor, L'Estate"
t 05 PART="Adagio"
t 05 OPUS="Opus 8 No 2 RV 315"
t 05 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 06 TITLE="Concerto in G minor, L'Estate"
t 06 PART="Presto"
t 06 OPUS="Opus 8 No 2 RV 315"
t 06 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 07 TITLE="Concerto in F major, L'Autunno"
t 07 PART="Allegro"
t 07 OPUS="Opus 8 No 3 RV 293"
t 07 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 08 TITLE="Concerto in F major, L'Autunno"
t 08 PART="Adagio molto"
t 08 OPUS="Opus 8 No 3 RV 293"
t 08 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 09 TITLE="Concerto in F major, L'Autunno"
t 09 PART="Allegro"
t 09 OPUS="Opus 8 No 3 RV 293"
t 09 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 10 TITLE="Concerto in F minor, L'Inverno"
t 10 PART="Allegro non molto"
t 10 OPUS="Opus 8 No 4 RV 297"
t 10 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 11 TITLE="Concerto in F minor, L'Inverno"
t 11 PART="Largo"
t 11 OPUS="Opus 8 No 4 RV 297"
t 11 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 12 TITLE="Concerto in F minor, L'Inverno"
t 12 PART="Allegro"
t 12 OPUS="Opus 8 No 4 RV 297"
t 12 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 13 TITLE="Concerto in E flat major, La Tempesta di Mare"
t 13 PART="Presto"
t 13 OPUS="Opus 8 No 5 RV 253"
t 13 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 14 TITLE="Concerto in E flat major, La Tempesta di Mare"
t 14 PART="Largo"
t 14 OPUS="Opus 8 No 5 RV 253"
t 14 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 15 TITLE="Concerto in E flat major, La Tempesta di Mare"
t 15 PART="Presto"
t 15 OPUS="Opus 8 No 5 RV 253"
t 15 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 16 TITLE="Concerto in C major, Il Piacere"
t 16 PART="Allegro"
t 16 OPUS="Opus 8 No 6 RV 180"
t 16 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 17 TITLE="Concerto in C major, Il Piacere"
t 17 PART="Largo e cantabile"
t 17 OPUS="Opus 8 No 6 RV 180"
t 17 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"
t 18 TITLE="Concerto in C major, Il Piacere"
t 18 PART="Allegro"
t 18 OPUS="Opus 8 No 6 RV 180"
t 18 PERFORMER="Piero Toso (violin)"