[vorbis] Minimum cpu requirements

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Fri Jun 28 13:44:50 PDT 2002

Kerry wrote:
> Anyone know if this would be enough to decode oggs?
>
> AMD Elan SC520 133 MHz
>
> If not, what seems to be the lower  limit required for decoding oggs?

Some time ago I did some testings on an underclocked(!) Pentium classic
@ 50 MHz (Win95, Winamp 2.7x, Peter's RC2 Plugin). This machine was able
to decode ~96-112 kpbs RC2 files in realtime including streaming the PCM
data to an old ISA MAD16 soundcard.   All IDE-drives were in slow PIO mode.

The Elan SC520 is based on AMD's 5x86, a 486 "on steroids". The 5x86 @
133 MHz performs, roughly speaking, like a Pentium 75 on "real life"
Windows-software (the 5x86 @ 133 MHz is therefore often called "5x86
PR75 133). It surely is able to to MP3 decoding in realtime:

"This version plays a layer3,112Kbit/s,J-Stereo stream on my AMD
5x86/133Mhz with about 66% CPU load. (on the console, NO X11)" (taken
from mpg123-0.59r README)

Keep in mind that mpg123 is quite optimized. AFAIK Vorbis decoding still
is a bit slower. Bit-rate "spikes" could be critical.

The Elan SC520 has quite a small L1 Cache (16 KB) without a L2-Cache (I
think there's no L2-cache controller in SC520). Of course, the
integrated SDRAM-controller should be faster than those 486 FPM Chipsets
  - so the missing L2-Cache should not have a too big impact on
memory-performance. Well, to be honest, I'm guessing here.

By the way: The predecessor of NS Geode, the Cyrix MediaGX, also was
based on a 486-like core (a Cyrix 5x86 - roughly the same performance as
AMD 5x86). The MediaGX had integrated VGA (UMA), Sound, PCI etc...
The very FPU-demanding Quake did run (roughly speaking) with Pentium 60
performance on a MediaGX @ 133 MHz. I do expect similiar results for the
AMD 5x86/Elan SC520.

> Kerry.

bye,