[vorbis] Re: Minimum cpu requirements

Kerry Kerry at email.message.co.nz
Thu Jun 27 20:18:10 PDT 2002

The next up embedded chip i can find is the national semiconductor geode
chips which i already know  works.  Then its onto the higher priced intel
rage which usually still need heatsinks or transmeta which is
overkill.  That AMD chip seems very cheap and may work too...

here tis a page:
http://www.amd.com/epd/processors/4.32bitcont/14.lan5xxfam/24.lansc520/index.html
and:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/19751.pdf

looks like it is two versions, a 486 and a Pentium.

anyone tried a p133 to decode ogg files?

Hello Greg,

GW> Kerry (Kerry at email.message.co.nz) wrote:

 >> Anyone know if this would be enough to decode oggs?
 >>
 >> AMD Elan SC520 133 MHz

GW> It would probably be more accurate for you to attempt it on your own
GW> computer, and see whether it's up to the task, rather than asking a
GW> bunch of people who don't have your computer. :)

GW> I'm guessing it should be enough for realtime Vorbis decoding, if it
GW> has a floating point unit.

If I recall correctly that is an embedded AMD 486.