[vorbis] streaming ogg audio

Karel P Kerezman greyduck at greyduck.net
Fri Jun 28 10:00:57 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 00:42, Akos Maroy wrote:
> Moritz Grimm wrote:
> > On the other hand, it's not really a problem to have it not working
> > either - usually, browsers download the file prior to handing it over to
> > the player. Unless you type in the URLs manually, get some .m3u file, or
> > maybe use Winamp's mini-browser, you don't get to play directly off a
> > webserver anyways. At least I never did or had to do anything like this.
>
> This is not intneded use by any means. If this happens, either the site
> is made incorrectly, or your client is broken.
>
> One should create .m3u files, that are downloaded and passed to the
> player. Then the player streams the audio file. One starts to listen
> instantly, and does not wait for the file to download. I mean: this _is_
> the whole point :)

This is essentially now NetJuke works. (http://netjuke.sourceforge.net)
The Ogg files are HTTP-streamed from the server to the client, not
fully-downloaded before play. A fair bit of work has gone into making
sure that the M3U file generated by NetJuke is compatible with different
browsers and players.

(Different WinAmp versions and XMMS handle tag information
differently... it was quite a mess for a while. Oggs aren't a problem,
but it turns out that id3v1 tags get completely lost. I've actually
converted all my MP3s to id3v2 tags, which works nicely in all of my
available browser and player combos out off the NetJuke server.)

--
Karel P Kerezman, IS Admin Entercom Portland
http://greyduck.net