[vorbis] MP3 to OGG conversion

Charles Philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 25 16:26:30 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 19:08, Robert Cole wrote:

> Given that these two are digital formats and from what I can gather from
> the archives there is very little quality loss converting from .wav to
> .ogg at least from what I can see in the archives anyway.

This is because wav's are not lossy. There is always quality lost when
encoding in to .mp3's and .ogg's, although you might not hear it
depending: (1) on the your ears, (2) the quality of the original and,
(3) the -q level used during encoding. Remember with Vorbis and mp3,
which are lossy codecs, you are always trading quality for file size.
The trick is to find a balance that suits you. Think of them as the
audio versions of jpeg's.

> I see allot of "VERY BAD" type of things when talking about mp3 to ogg
> but nothing of the sort from wav to ogg. So one last assumption here is
> that there is very little loss from wav to ogg.

The reason is that you are losing quality twice, first by encoding into
mp3 and then to Vorbis (from losy to losy). This is very different then
encode straight from a wav file.

> So this request for a utility to convert mp3 to ogg has probably been
> heard a million times before and will be heard a million times more
> until such a utility exists!

Hum, last time I checked there are third party programs that does this,
if you don't mind the lost in quality. Try this link:

http://freshmeat.net/search?q=ogg+vorbis+mp3+convert

Charles

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)