[vorbis] When will quality increase be unnoticable?

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Sun Jun 23 17:48:43 PDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:53, engdev wrote:
> Everyone so far says to listen to your music, pick
> a quality where you can't hear the difference, and
> then increase it by one....

Roughly. I found I was hearing transparency on a small sample that I tested
somewhere after 3.5, but picked 4.99, as the bitrate seemed reasonable, and
I'm not particularly sensitive to soundstage artifacts.

> With the (rumored) bit-peeling feature, which is
> not available yet, it will be possible to encode
> as high as you like, and then 'peel' back to a
> lower rate.

Yes. Useful for streaming and packing a lot of music into the portable
players that will be released nanoseconds after 1.0 comes out ;-)

> This sounds *very* nice, but questions to the
> developers...
>
> Is bit-peeling going to be real (or just a rumor
> forever)?

Apparently the RC3 streams are capable of being bit peeled, however the tool
to do so was looking likely to be quite complex. I believe the plan was to
have RC4 produce streams that left better hints for the peeling tool, so as
to make the tool simpler and faster, but I doubt we'll see it until post-1.0.

John