[vorbis] streaming ogg audio

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jun 28 00:27:52 PDT 2002

Ross Levis wrote:
> >Mkay. The only possible scenario where this could be working would be an
> >mp3 lying on a standard webserver that supports resuming downloads. You
> It does work.  Load this 64kb/s URL into Winamp:
> http://www.kenradio.com/audio/4750.mp3

[could not connect (1)]

Anyways, I do believe that it works, too many people saw it working. ;)
The problem on the Ogg side is that it's always very much about
guessing, and if multiple players implemented this, their
performance/accuracy will vary and also depend a lot on the .ogg file
itself. I don't see a clean solution to this at the moment.

On the other hand, it's not really a problem to have it not working
either - usually, browsers download the file prior to handing it over to
the player. Unless you type in the URLs manually, get some .m3u file, or
maybe use Winamp's mini-browser, you don't get to play directly off a
webserver anyways. At least I never did or had to do anything like this.