[vorbis] streaming ogg audio

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Wed Jun 26 12:13:43 PDT 2002

figyu wrote:
> so, if i listen to a streamed ogg file (enter url into winamp, eg), the seek
> bar never shows up, nor the position of where the playback is at any given
> moment. the file length is also not known or shown. you can only stop it and
> start again right from the beginning.
> however, this all works with an mp3.

does it? my experience is that you can not seek with mp3 streaming
either, and certainly you can't seek into a live stream.

> we would need this to stream ogg for a radio station, but listeners would
> not possibly put up with this not-being-able-to-seek-anywhere.
> is it because of certain winamp shortcomings with vorbis streams or is it
> down to ogg vorbis rc3 solely?

No, this is the nature of streaming mp3s as well. Basically, mp3
streaming is done by HTTP requests, reading a huge mp3 file from the web
server a piece at a time. As there are no additional commands than
standard HTTP, you can't send any special stuff like seeking into a
file, etc.

Would be a nice feature though.