[vorbis] Re: MP3 to OGG conversion

David Tenser david.tenser at telia.com
Wed Jun 26 10:55:59 PDT 2002

Robert Cole wrote:

> But I wonder if an encoder could be made to simply (famous last words...
> :) ) not try to compress the data again if it sees it's mp3 format and
> only doing what's needed to make it an ogg file. Not sure if that's
> clear enough... That make any sense? :)

If you mean that the ogg encoder should detect that it's a mp3 and leave
it alone but make it an ogg file instead, that's impossible.

ogg and mp3 are totally different formats. The only way to convert an
mp3 to ogg is to first uncompress the mp3 file (to wav for example) and
then re-encode it to ogg.