[vorbis] (Un)Usefulness of Vorbisgain?

David Tenser david.tenser at telia.com
Mon Jun 24 05:44:42 PDT 2002

Moritz Grimm wrote:

>>Also, will this value of -5.2dB be applied to the whole song, even the
>>quiet parts, thus not leveling out the volume for that particular song?
>>

>Replaygain is no loudness maximizer, i.e. combined compressor and
>expander. Compression would alter the sound of the song, so that'd be a
>bad thing anyways.
>
>>Or to put it in other words, does it apply dynamic compression to the
>>song, or does it just amplify it according to the results of the RMS
>>tests etc.?
>>

>Yes, to the latter.

Thanks for the reply Moritz. Then I simply can't see a good reason for
using this, unless you don't care about sound quality that much. Because
Replay Gain will most of the time just lower the volume (and thus making
the signal weaker) of the songs that are already compressed to sound as
loud as possible.

Why would you want to loose signal/noise ratio?

Ok, it's good if you're playing background music and wants to make sure
the same sound level is used in every song, but for a hifi freak like
me, reducing the output signal from the sound cards sounds like a bad
idea. I leave that up to my home cinema receiver.