[vorbis] Channel Coupling and Quality (-q 5 vs -q 4.99)

vorbis at papaya.altamente.com vorbis at papaya.altamente.com
Fri Jun 21 09:04:39 PDT 2002

Thought I'd throw another log on to the quality debate to liven things up a
bit.  Does anyone have any evidence anecdotal or otherwise on the difference
between -q 5 and -q 4.99?

Now, I know that the difference between them is ONLY that a lossy channel
coupling is used at 4.99 and that lossless channel coupling is used at 5.
So my question is: How good is the channel coupling in 4.99?  Can you tell
the difference?  We all know that JS in mp3 sucked royally, but can anyone
give testimony on the quality of channel coupling in Ogg Vorbis?

Is the difference between 4.99 and 5 so slight that pop/rock music doesn't
suffer at all?   Can you tell the difference between 4.99 and 5 for
classical sources?  Does one particular genre not fair so well at 4.99?

Inquiring minds want to know *G*.

--James