[vorbis] When will quality increase be unnoticable?

David K. Gasaway dave at gasaway.org
Thu Jun 20 10:37:05 PDT 2002

Øyvind Stegard wrote:

> Too much at 128kbps, if you ask me, and this is, for me,
> the absolute lowest acceptable bitrate [...]
> and audio quality is, no matter which codec (though ogg beats'em all)
> rather poor below 128 kbps.

You think in bitrate terms too much.  Before the advent of MP3, 128 kbps
was *way* too low.  However, encoding technology is improving.  Imagine
where 128 kbps will be a few years down the road.

> 2. Harddisks (and storage in general) aren't exactly getting any smaller
> these days, and the same with internet/network bandwith.

There will always be a shortage of resources of some sort.  These
arguments almost never work out.

> I think that audio codec developers should concentrate on getting more
> quality out of the standard ratios we have today, rather than trying to
> get the bitrate even lower.

As Carsten said: "getting more quality" and "getting the bitrate lower"
are the same; at least, they require the same effort.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- XNS  : =David K Gasaway
-:-:- Email: dave at gasaway.org