[vorbis] quality question

xdfisl xdfisl at btopenworld.com
Thu Jul 25 16:59:48 PDT 2002

> If I'm going from .wav --> .ogg -q9 --> .ogg -q7 do I suffer any ill
> effects
> or is it just like going from .wav --> .ogg -q7  ??
>
> I ask because I think I want to go down a bit more as the size of the
> files
> are around 10mb or so. I can get them from source again and go
straight to
> - -q7 if need be.

If you can get the source for encoding to q7 that would be optimal.
There is support in vorbis, for what is called 'peeling'. Peeling takes
down the quality of your ogg encoded files without transcoding
(basically does exactly what you want) and with little or no quality
reduction. Unfortunately the tools for doing this are still over the
horizon, but I'm drooling at the thought, and watching very closely at
this development :)

If you can afford to, you may as well hold on to your q9's and wait it
out till the peeling tools become available then take them down to
whatever quality level you want, in one fell swoop.

asqui

Of

'vorbis-request at xiph.org'