[vorbis] redhat vorbis install

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Wed Jul 24 11:00:39 PDT 2002

I hope I'm not being an idiot, but I'm attempting to install vorbis-1.0
RPMs on a few redhat machines and failing horribly.  I'm in dependency
hell.

For starters, libao-0.8.3-1 requires libasound.so.2 (an alsa library?)
which does not seem to be available in any recent redhat releases.

Then vorbis-tools wants libcurl.so.2, which makes redhat 7.2 machines
choke.

Worst of all is that there's a boadload of packages depending on
(since-renamed) vorbis libs:

        libvorbisenc.so.0   is needed by kdebase-2.2.2-1
        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by SDL_mixer-1.2.0-4
        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by xmms-1.2.5-7
        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by tuxracer-0.61-5
        libvorbisfile.so.0   is needed by kdemultimedia-2.2.2-2

So, my question is: is it possible to upgrade redhat 7.3 machines using
RPMs?  The vorbis.com download page seems to imply this is possible.  But
it doesn't seem as though I'm going to succeed without forcing a bunch of
broken dependencies or conflicting packages to coexist.

I'm hoping that a few of the library-version issues could be paranoia
(meaning I can symlink to an older/newer version), or that perhaps I could
tweak the RPM SPEC file to make a less-needy set of binaries (if, for
example, it's possible to not link against libasound.so.2).

I could build from source, but then I'll have a mix of RPM and non-RPM
libraries installed, and I'd rather avoid making too much of a mess on my
systems.  Plus I'm sure I'm not the last person who will have these
issues, so I'm willing to go through a few contortions to find the magic
formula so others can benefit.

Any advice?

Eric