[vorbis] Quality & ripping speed

Anthony Frazier afrazier at neo.rr.com
Thu Jul 25 14:34:51 PDT 2002

On 25 Jul 2002 at 23:45, Mark Hetherington wrote:

> At 5.00 lossless stereo coupling is enabled. As a result bitrate jumps quite a
> bit between 4.99 and 5.00, for a small quality increase on most samples,

Everything I've seen so far has said that 6.00 is the magic number for this in
1.0.  There's still a healthy bitrate jump from 4.99 to 5.00, but it seems that
the same exists for most of other quality levels as well.

> Cdex verifies the CD and reconstructs scratches etc. i.e. it will decode an
> error free rip, every time. I don't know if your Exact Audio setup might do
> this. You can expect a *large* performance hit for perfect verifyed audio
> extraction...

EAC can as well.  In fact, it was the first Windows ripper to do this, to my
knowledge.  Drives that do good ripping can go wicked quick though.  My LiteOn
40X burner rips anywhere from 16-28x in EAC's Secure Mode, depending on how badly
I've treated the CD over the years.  :-)