[vorbis] Quality & ripping speed

Mark Hetherington mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Thu Jul 25 06:45:02 PDT 2002

At 5.00 lossless stereo coupling is enabled. As a result bitrate jumps quite a
bit between 4.99 and 5.00, for a small quality increase on most samples,
although on some samples lossless stereo is a big advantage. Generally though
4.99 sounds very similar to 5.00 and shaves off some redundant stereo
image....

Again, you need to listen to see if you can hear the difference and decide if
the bitrate hit is worth it.

Cdex verifies the CD and reconstructs scratches etc. i.e. it will decode an
error free rip, every time. I don't know if your Exact Audio setup might do
this. You can expect a *large* performance hit for perfect verifyed audio
extraction...

Mark