[vorbis] vorbis 1.0 low bitrates

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Sat Jul 20 02:54:33 PDT 2002

Hi,

I'm really happy Ogg Vorbis 1.0 is out.

I have some questions though:

- what are the valid bitrates / channel / sample rate combinations?

experimenting I find that at 22050 Hz I can not use 24 kb/s stereo, and
at 16000 Hz I cannot use 18 kb/s stereo. Is there a table of valid
bitrate / sample rate combinations?

looking at the documentation I found some chapters on decoding, but none
on encoding. looking at the libvorbisenc reference
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/vorbisenc/index.html, for the api
reference link the libvorbisfile (not the enc) reference page comes out.

of course I found encoder_example.c among the sources, and I hope that
it contains all knowledge needed (e.g. I couldn't find out how to
specify a maximum bitrate that will not be exceeded, for streaming purposes)