[vorbis] wow! and what about h/w players for vorbis files?

MARK JAMES HETHERINGTON mark.hetherington at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Sun Jul 14 19:56:27 PDT 2002

At my work we have this tiny credit card
sized 386 board, it has an expansion bus,
and one of the expanson modules the
electronics people have come up with is an
mp3 board. The 386 takes compact flash
disks, and just sends mp3 data to the mp3
board.

The board has an mp3-decoder chip. You send
it mp3 frames, it outputs audio. I think
the device is very nifty, with the mp3
board attached it takes up about the space
of two matchboxes. OF course since the mp3
player chip is expecting mp3 frames, it
can't decode ogg. I think that is why most
hardware players are mp3 only, there are a
few cheap mp3-decoder on a chip type
devices around now, and very few that
decode it in software using a "real" cpu.