No, I don't think so. Was: [vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 binary - Beta4 still the best?

Luke Usherwood Luke.Usherwood at clear.net.nz
Sat Jul 13 08:13:47 PDT 2002

Yes, the ratio of an uncompressed file to a compressed file can be used as a crude estimate of the "entropy" or information in a file.  But lossy compression does not necessarily reduce the entropy.  Lossy compression may result in a proportion of the original information changing to something different, but equally complex as so far as the Flac encoder is concerned.

For an example that may be easier to visualise... Imagine you have an picture with a sharp transition, like a black rectangle on a white background.  You then compress that file to a JPEG.  When you view (decompress) the image, it has little artefacts (waves) on either side of the transitions. The resultant image now has MORE information (complexity) than before compression.  If you now compress this file in a lossless compression scheme, such as PNG or GIP, it will actually be much (much!) bigger.