[vorbis] Uncoupled mode?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jul 12 15:45:47 PDT 2002

Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Not using any coupling would be a waste of space - it makes no sense to
> > store mono parts in a stereo tune twice, i.e. there's only one of two
> > channels stored completely plus the difference to the second channel.
>
> So would it be correct to assume that if I take a mono recording from a
> stereo CD (two tracks of essentially identical data), encoding it as a
> two-channel Vorbis file would give me an only slightly larger file than
> if I first used a wave editor to throw away one of the two channels and
> then encoded it as a single-channel Vorbis file? (with all other encoder
> settings the same, of course)

Exactly. Except if you use bitrate management ... e.g. if you choose
--managed -b 96 instead of -q 2, you will likely get something pretty
close to 96 kbps instead of a much smaller file in full VBR mode. This
would be one of the rare cases where managed encoding might sound better
than VBR. But since we usually prefer constant quality over constant
bitrate, -q still is the way to go. :)