[vorbis] Uncoupled mode?

Craig Dickson crdic at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 12 15:38:26 PDT 2002

Moritz Grimm wrote:

> Not using any coupling would be a waste of space - it makes no sense to
> store mono parts in a stereo tune twice, i.e. there's only one of two
> channels stored completely plus the difference to the second channel.

So would it be correct to assume that if I take a mono recording from a
stereo CD (two tracks of essentially identical data), encoding it as a
two-channel Vorbis file would give me an only slightly larger file than
if I first used a wave editor to throw away one of the two channels and
then encoded it as a single-channel Vorbis file? (with all other encoder
settings the same, of course)

Craig