[vorbis] mp3 quality vs Vorbis 1.0?

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jul 11 13:16:18 PDT 2002

Graham Mitchell wrote:
> [ http://grahammitchell.net/writings/vorbis_intro.html ]
>
> In particular, it contains two paragraphs discussing the relative quality of
> Vorbis vs mp3 at a certain target bitrate.  These figures seem to be roughly

My personal opinion is that it's simply not worth talking about MP3
anymore. ;P I made my personal tests at qualities/bitrates where neither
codec is transparent for me, and Vorbis scored much better every time.
My hearing isn't good enough to test stuff like that at higher settings
(i.e. -q > 3 or lame > 160 kbps). It's now that if you don't really
_have_to_ use MP3 (because you want to release on mp3.com, for example
;P), it's simply stupid to use it. :)

To answer your question, i think -q 2 easily beats the average 128kbps
MP3. There might be some special cases, though. Ah yes, and please don't
take that too seriously, other people with other listening preferences
might think different. :P