[vorbis] mp3 quality vs Vorbis 1.0?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Thu Jul 11 05:56:45 PDT 2002

Many of you have read and my "introduction to compressed audio with Vorbis"
and given me excellent feedback.  But with 1.0 about to hit the streets, I
figured I'd freshen it up a bit.

[ http://grahammitchell.net/writings/vorbis_intro.html ]

In particular, it contains two paragraphs discussing the relative quality of
Vorbis vs mp3 at a certain target bitrate.  These figures seem to be roughly
accurate, but they were for the rc3 encoder.  Can you guys who've been
playing with what we called "CVS RC4" weigh in with some subjective
comparisons so I can update?

The original paragraphs:
> For example, a file encoded in the Ogg Vorbis format at quality 3 typically
> results in an average bitrate of 112 kbps but sounds better than an mp3 at
> 128 kbps and often as good as an mp3 encoded at 160 kbps.
>
> For this reason, Ogg Vorbis discourages users from trying to achieve certain
> bitrates when encoding and instead concentrates on sound quality. [More
> discussion on thinking "quality" rather than "bitrate" goes here....]
>
> The default quality setting is 3, which should be fine for the average user
> since it gives sound quality better than a 128 kbps mp3 but is over 10%
> smaller. Someone wanting sound almost identical to a 128 kbps mp3 can
> usually get by with quality 2, which sounds as good but is 25% smaller.

Thanks for your help.  And props to the Vorbis crew for their hard work.  I
look forward to ripping new stuff with 1.0!

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"Programming is forty percent perspiration, ten percent inspiration,