[vorbis] Damn!

Luke Usherwood Luke.Usherwood at clear.net.nz
Sun Jul 7 12:22:01 PDT 2002

Well, after all these postings I had to go get the latest off CVS and see for myself.  Man, the latest build sounds terrible.

I think saying that -q0 is better than 128 MP3 is an exaggeration tho. It is noticeably worse, but the quality is beautifully degraded.  What I mean to say is, while -q0 loses significant fidelity from -q1, the artefacts that you start hearing not too harsh - the swishy sounds are still relatively subtle.  This is what really impresses me.   I would say between -q1 and -q2 is approximately on par with MP3 128.

-q2 sounds excellent to me.  Very listenable. I do notice a little dampening in the high frequencies (I presume this is intentionally filtered to help the compression), and a tiny loss of stereo separation (that I only hear because I'm intentionally looking for it).  But again, because it doesn't add any noticeable artefacts, it's very easy to listen to!  This would be an ideal quality level to use in a portable OGG player.

Great stuff everyone!