[vorbis] trouble compiling vorbis 1.0 on openbsd

Gilbert Fernandes gilbert.fernandes at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 27 06:12:19 PDT 2002

Compiled libbogg and libao using ./configure; make
Then moved to libvorbis source folder
Installed libtool (1.3.5p3), autoconf (2.52) and
automake (1.4-p5). gnu make is also there (3.79.1)

i had to create a link for autoconf as after
install it was installed as /usr/local/bin/autoconf-new
so i added a link from it to
/usr/local/bin/autoconf

output from ./autogen is:

--

$ ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish

checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for executable suffix...
checking for object suffix... o
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking build system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.1
checking host system type... i386-unknown-openbsd3.1
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information.
configure: error: libtool configure failed
$

--

while a ./configure does this:

--

$ ./configure
[...]

I don't know how to correct that ltconfig error.
What is the loading cache /dev/null within ltconfig
about or for ?

I have on the OpenBSD CD an older version of the
whole Vorbis stuff but I'd prefer use the version
release 1.0 to reencode some stuff under it
but it doesn't seem to install or compile or
perhaps I'm forgetting something. don't know.

On the last release I was also have a lot of
trouble. The make couldn't find a lof of .h
files while includes and I had to manually
copy several .h files from the various vorbis
folder components. And it never compiled
unless I used "-no-oggtest" option on the
configure. Sometimes, I found that I could
./configure; make libogg and when trying
to do same for libvorbis it couln'd find
ogg

Well. Making it compile and install under
OpenBSD isn't that easy but up to today
I always tweaked it until it got working
but I've been spending a few hours over
this 1.0 release and i don't see the
out of it.

Any hints appreciated. Please copy
to my email adress.

Thansk for the good job over Ogg-Vorbis.
Good sound with Jazz tunes :_)

--
Gilbert