[vorbis] Bitrate restrictions

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Jul 26 06:26:13 PDT 2002

Peter Schuller wrote:
> > > Even now with -1 quality I can't get lower than around 50 kbit on normal
> > > music (like with RC3, except then I had to do "-b 45" to get that
> > > effect).
> > I don't know of *any* encoder that goes lower than nominally 48kbps with
> > 44.1kHz/stereo music. You just can't get lower than that without
> > resampling.
> So who says 48 kbit is the cut-off? Under poor conditions (such as
> sitting on a loud bus with cheap walkman headphones) I don't think I
> would really notice the quality degredation at 51 kbit (in this
> particular example) unless I knew to look for it. So why it so
> impossible for 47 kbit to be usable? Or 46 kbit?

I meant 48kbps as the nominal bitrate of -q -1. Nobody keeps you from
trying --managed -b 48 -M 30, but I really doubt that will produce
anything decent. If you want to go lower, with reasonable quality,
resample. -q -1 is the lowest you can get in terms of quality. There's
no mode "worse" than that.