[vorbis] Bitrate restrictions

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri Jul 26 06:38:22 PDT 2002

> > Even now with -1 quality I can't get lower than around 50 kbit on normal
> > music (like with RC3, except then I had to do "-b 45" to get that
> > effect).
>
> I don't know of *any* encoder that goes lower than nominally 48kbps with
> 44.1kHz/stereo music. You just can't get lower than that without
> resampling.

So who says 48 kbit is the cut-off? Under poor conditions (such as
sitting on a loud bus with cheap walkman headphones) I don't think I
would really notice the quality degredation at 51 kbit (in this
particular example) unless I knew to look for it. So why it so
impossible for 47 kbit to be usable? Or 46 kbit?

The bottom line: Why provide a hard-coded cut-off instead of just
providing recommendations and let people experiment? If there's a
technical difficulty in going lower than 48 kbit I can understand if.
But if it's just an artificial limitation that can be removed by
removing an if statement or two, I see no reason to keep it...

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org