[vorbis] Bitrate restrictions

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri Jul 26 03:34:41 PDT 2002

[ Before I start complaining let me just say that I think 1.0 kicks ass
- great job! ]

> I don't know what the exact limits are at what bitrates for sample rate..... I
> would have assumed there wouldn't be any. (i.e. if you *really* want that
> bitrate, you can have it at full sample rate).

No, and this has bothered me for some time...

Even now with -1 quality I can't get lower than around 50 kbit on normal
music (like with RC3, except then I had to do "-b 45" to get that
effect).

But the quality is still VERY impressive for that bitrate. I still want
to be able to choose a much worse quality. Particularly for voice
communication and the like.

I don't like the idea of *having* to downsample to get lower than a
specific bitrate, especially not when the codec seems to handle bitrates
without downsampling down to that limit very well. Downsampling
effectively puts a cap on the maximum achievable quality regardless of
how easy the sound is to encode.

Is there some technical difficulty in encoding at very low quality
levels? There is obviously some form of hard coded range check. Why?

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org