[vorbis] redhat vorbis install

Eric Seppanen eds at reric.net
Thu Jul 25 11:08:01 PDT 2002

> >That leaves me with only one remaining issue: there are lots of programs
> >on redhat machines linked against
> >  libvorbisenc.so.0  and
> >  libvorbisfile.so.0 .
> >
> >So, is there an easy fix to this?  Is there a real incompatibility there?
> >Can I make a symlink to point everyone at the new version?  Can the old .0
> >files coexist peacefully with a new libvorbis.so.0 ?
>
> I'm not sure about libvorbisenc - it's possible that this we did this
> (changing the .so version number) incorrectly, in which case a symlink
> is safe. However, there is a real incompatibility in libvorbisfile. It's
> in a single function, which is rarely used (xmms will use it with some
> non-default options turned on, I don't know if any other current programs
> use it).

OK, so it doesn't sound like that would be very safe.  Thanks for your
help so far.  The last way I can think of to do this cleanly would be:

Install a new libvorbis package with
libvorbis.so.0, libvorbis.so.0.2.0
libvorbisfile.so.3, libvorbisfile.so.3.0.0

and then make a new package (using, say, rc3 code), let's call it
libvorbis-compat, that includes
libvorbisfile.so.0, libvorbisfile.so.0.2.0

This should allow everything to work properly, if the answer to one
question is what I hope it is:

Can old versions of libvorbisfile.so.* (and maybe libvorbisenc.so.*)
coexist with a newer version of libvorbis.so.0 ?