[vorbis] Quality & ripping speed

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Thu Jul 25 06:16:40 PDT 2002

> 1) I know people have asked many times "What quality should I use". Well, I
> want to ask it again but in a narrower frame. I see less than 10% difference
> in size between 4.99 and 5.00 - what's the big difference? Is going to 5,
> albeit .00 much better than 4.99? I can go to 5.99 for another 15-20% size
> hit.. is it worth it? Where does it end? :)

4.99 was a "special" number in rc3 - since lossless stereo coupling
kicked in abruptly at 5.0 and there was a noticable size jump between
the two.

In 1.0, I believe the threshold has been bumped to 6.0, and the
transition is smoother - so the size jump shoulnd't be so abrupt. I
believe that for most people, this is only likely to be a concern if
they use a pseudo-surround systems that generate a surround image from a
stereo signal - you'd want a good quality stereo signal for that!

As for the quality between 5.0 and 6.0? hell, don't ask me. I could
barely ABX RC3 at -q2 with my ears and hardware!

.../Nemo