[vorbis] wav/raw normalization

Amy Schoenhofen ambly at mn.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 18:28:25 PDT 2002

Hey all. I was an "early" adopter of mp3 (1994-1995), and I took great pains
to use digital audio extractors and avoid jitter and whatnot thru proper
hardware - back then, this was no mean feat. Well, I'm starting to switch to
Ogg (dragging out all the CD's, starting over) and I want to know if anyone
has an informed opinion on the merits or demerits of "normalization" and
other such "clean up" of raw/wav files upon extraction, that so many cd
audio extractors try to force upon you these days. In fact, I'm having a
hard time finding a Windows cdda type tool that I can trust isn't altering
the raw/wav file in some way.

What do you audiophiles (as it were) recommend? Do you use extractors that
normalize/clean up/remove the beginning and end of songs?