[vorbis] Libvorbisenc.so.O

Shawn core at enodev.com
Mon Jul 22 09:04:25 PDT 2002

Instead of breaking kde, why don't you install the new ogg stuff
--prefix=/usr/local and make sure your ld.so.conf has /usr/local/lib?

Then, run ogg bins out of /usr/local/bin.

On 07/22, Moritz Grimm said something like:
> raen7 at ihug.com.au wrote:
> > I first tried to install the latest rc version of vorbis-tools but
> > encountered file dependency probs, then I tried the new verion 1.0 and
> > encountered missing library files so I went back to the SuSE installation
> > CD's and installed vorbis-tools from the SuSE 7.3 installation.
> >
> > I also think there might be a further problem of conflicting version
> > files with the KDE Launcher ogg encoder/cd-ripper kio_audiocd. As soon as
> > I tried to install the latest rc version of libvorbis-tools kio-auidicd
> > cease to function.
>
> I can't help with kio_audiocd, but I assume that you will have to
> recompile it from source after a successful Vorbis installation. There's
> a binary incompatibility between rc3 and 1.0, that means dynamically or
> statically linked programs won't work. Recompiling and linking them to
> the correct Vorbis libs will help.
>
> You have two different versions of Vorbis installed in /usr and
> /usr/local. This will definitely cause problems (unless you compile 1.0
> with switches like --with-ogg=<correct_1.0_prefix>). Since SuSE uses
> /usr as the default prefix, as I pointed out already in another mail, I
> suggest you use this prefix for all your installations to prevent
> conflicts like that.
>
> A dirty way to clean up your stuff would be to manually remove Vorbis
> from /usr/local. That is, delete lib/libao*, lib/libogg*,
> lib/libvorbis*, include/ao.h, include/ogg.h, include/vorbisenc.h and
> include/vorbisfile.h (all below /usr/local). Then delete oggenc, ogg123,
> vorbiscomment, etc from /usr/local/bin. I neither know exactly whether
> that is too much or too little, but it always worked for me. Note that
> after that, you still have all the manuals etc in /usr/local/share/man
> etc; delete them, too, if you feel like it.
>
> After that, reinstall libao, libogg, libvorbis and vorbis-tools from the
> 1.0 source packages with `./configure --prefix=/usr`. After that, `which
> oggenc` should result in "/usr/bin/oggenc" and oggenc -h should tell you
> that it's version 1.0. Test it whether it produces nice .ogg files and
> play the .ogg with ogg123. If that works, the Vorbis side is ok.
>
> I can't really help with kio_audiocd; try to find out where it is
> installed and compile it from source or an SRPM using the same prefix as
> it is now to overwrite the old version. I think that should solve those
> problems. Note that compiling kio_audiocd might require you to install
> -devel packages first, e.g. cdparanoia and decore for DivX etc.
>

> Moritz

Shawn Leas
core at enodev.com

Yesterday I parked my car in a tow-away zone... when I came back the
entire area was missing...
						-- Stephen Wright