No, I don't think so. Was: [vorbis] Vorbis 1.0 binary - Beta4 still the best?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Jul 13 18:14:38 PDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 02:45:35AM +0200, Zvezdan Dimitrijevic wrote:
> I think that mail sent to this forum cannot contain attached files, so I
> send same message again because I want to show you graphically about I
> am talking.
>
> http://members.lycos.co.uk/zvezdand/Diagrams.gif

There's nothing in the diagram that we don't all already know.
starting with rc2, the encoder subtracts phase information from a
sample that it deems inaudible, just like it subtracts tonal and noise
information that it deems inaudible.  The bit savings is substantial,
and that's plowed directly back into deepening the resolution of the
sample.

One must never use graphs to look for artifacts.  Graphs are useful
only as a means of visually explaining what your ears tell you.  What
you've pictured above isn't an artifact unless you can hear it.

(Are you using any stereo postprocessing in your listening equipment?
It will definately be confused by phase subtraction.)

Monty