[vorbis] Vorbis Block Diagram

Paul Newton Paul.Newton at sli-institute.ac.uk
Mon Jul 8 02:59:48 PDT 2002

Hi,

I have looked through the documentation available from the downloads and the
web and haven't yet come across a block diagram which shows exactly how the
process of going from a .wav file to a .ogg file works.  I suspect it is the
same as the mp3 process (with a different psychoacoustic model).  I found
this document:

http://www.celoxica.com/products/technical_papers/case_studies/cs_001.htm

which shows a block diagram for the mp3 process.  Is this the same for
vorbis?

We are trying to do something similar to the article in that we want to
produce a vorbis decoder in hardware.  We a have a develpoment board from
Celoxica.  We want to have a demonstrator system which uses a host PC
(running Windows NT).  A GUI will be developed under Microsoft Visual C++
6.0.  We want to convert the relevant parts of the decoder to Handel C which
will take care of the translation to hardware.

At the moment we are struggling to get to grips with the source code.
Although we have compiled and ran vorbisfile_example.c and decoder_example.c
successfully, we are unsure from what source the libraries and include files
are generated.  More specifically we are finding it difficult to identify
which files we will need for the decoding.  Could anybody point us in the
right direction?  At the moment we are looking at psy.c and trying to work
out its dependencies.  I suspect that we don't need the psy.c stuff as it is
used only for encoding.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,
Paul