[vorbis] RC4 encoder with RC3 player?

asqui asqui at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 6 06:53:35 PDT 2002

> I have RC4 from cvs successfully compiled and am using that 'oggenc'.
>  However, my xmms plugin is still RC3, using the RC3 libraries.  Am I
> still getting all the benefits from RC4 or are there changes to the
> player as well as the encoder?

I believe the vorbis file format was finalised long ago and the decoder
is frozen, so the only advances being made right now are in the encoding
algorithms.

Your RC3 decoder should yield the best quality, though I'm not sure if
the RC3 encoder is the same as the current CVS -- There may for example
have been some optimisations, though I doubt it. In any case this would
not affect the quality of the audio.

asqui

Of

'vorbis-request at xiph.org'