[vorbis] quality scale 0-10

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Jul 5 17:23:33 PDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Ross Levis wrote:

> Something to think about: One global quality scale from 0 to 10.  0 =
> resample to 11khz, 8kb/s, through to 10 = original sample rate, high kb/s.

I don't like this idea.  For starters, it's much less intuitive than the
current system.  My feeling is that, unless you specify resampling (which
apparently CVS oggenc can now do), you should get out what you put in.
Besides, that would severely compress the quality scale to the point where
you'd regularly have to deal in decimal points, which I'm sure a lot of
people won't be keen on.

My take in this is this.  I'm guessing that Monty wouldn't have included a
48kbps mode unless he could get it to sound something comparable to RC3's
64kbps.  Therefore, shifting q0 down to 48kbps would be in line with the
whole quality way of doing things.  Like someone else said, keep it
sounding the same, just shift the rates.

I note that Monty has been rather quiet on this issue.  Since I suspect
that what he says goes, what's your take on this, Monty?

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html