[vorbis] quality scale 0-10

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Fri Jul 5 16:25:53 PDT 2002

Caleb wrote:
 > i dont understand you people.
 >-q0 should be poor quality, only that in vorbis, the poor quality is
 > actually good! :)

Another advantage I see in reducing the nominal bitrate for q0 to 48kb/s
with a ~13khz lowpass is a smoother transition in average bitrate and
frequency resolution from 22khz to 44khz sampling.  Currently there is a
jump from 11khz (at 22khz sampling) to 15khz (at 44khz sampling -q0).
 But then I suppose there is 33khz sampling but I don't think too many
devices support it.

Something to think about: One global quality scale from 0 to 10.  0 =
resample to 11khz, 8kb/s, through to 10 = original sample rate, high kb/s.

Ross.