[vorbis] CVS RC4 -q0 too good!

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jul 4 04:01:12 PDT 2002

Mark Hetherington wrote:
> Yes, I see a problem with starting 0 at 64, since it makes it hard to go
> lower. 0 should be rock bottom I think, or it should be possible to go
> negative, so that it is easier to get lower bitrate modes.

Patching oggenc (oggenc/oggenc.c) around row 680, commenting out the
lines checking that q values aren't lower than 0, allows you to use -q
-1 which currently gives the 48kbps nominal mode. That's how it is right
now, but for the sake of consistency, I'd second the old scale from 0 to
10 (or maybe 0 to 11?). We don't care about bitrates anyways, so q ==
quality makes most sense, imo.

> The maximum bitrate is 500 isn't it?

Afaik, Vorbis has no theoretical limit in bitrate - it could go up to
anywhere ... a realistic upper limit would propably be around 700-800
kbps, which would be a compression ratio of ~50-60%; something that
lossless codecs achieve on some, i.e. most music.