[vorbis] Changes to OggDrop?

David Tenser david.tenser at telia.com
Tue Jul 2 13:04:59 PDT 2002

fungus wrote:
> engdev wrote:
>
>> Can a value box be added so the position of the slider is known?
>>

> I think I said this the day after it was released
> but nobody listened.
>
> To me, oggdrop seems to be totally useless unless
> you just fire it up and use the default setting.
> Any attempt to set the quality is pointless - you
> can't even see what you set it to.
>
> Much better than a slider would be a combo box for
> quality settings ("normal", "high", "archive", etc)
> and a numerical input where people could type "4.99"
> if they wanted to.
>
> As it is....it's useless, maybe even damaging to
> ogg's reputation.

I completely agree. Who wrote OggDrop? What were they thinking when they
didn't include the numeric value of the quality setting, when that value
is used in every other aspect of the codec?

It should be so easy to add this functionality (if only I had some C++
compiler, I could have changed it myself and submitted the code back to
the authors). Shouldn't take more than one minute to change this to the
better.

Is this Monty's code??