[vorbis] some EAQUAL results

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Sun Jan 20 06:23:10 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Fuller" <Phaedras at gmx.net>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] some EAQUAL results

> Well, that's interesting, especially since the files had different average
> bitrates. The only change I made in the encoding of the two files was the
the
> addition of said --nspsytune.

It seems that although --alt-preset standard uses the
nspsytune psychoacoustic model, it also contains additional
code to improve (among others) transient handling. Adding in
--nspsytune another time will effectivly disable those tweaks.

The reason why the crippled version was rated higher by
EAQUAL is probably that it is nearly blind to temporal
artifacts.

--
GCP